Rhianna Mc Kenzie
There are no parties or major events planned for hotel guests this year, as hotel restaurants and bars will close promptly at 10pm tonight in keeping with the Ministry of Health’s covid19 regulations.
Newsday spoke to a few hotels on Thursday and asked about their plans for hotel guests at midnight.
Earlier on Thursday morning, Commissioner of Police Gary Griffith issued a statement saying hotels and restaurants that have been advertising New Year’s Eve events will be visited by police.
The statement said Griffith noticed an advertisement for a restaurant allowing patrons to have a quiet dinner before the countdown begins and another where the public could bring in the New Year at the waterfront.
A representative at Hyatt Regency in Port of Spain said in a phone interview that its waterfront restaurant will be closed promptly at 10pm. She said guests were not required to go back to their rooms, but the restaurant and bar will be closed.
A Hilton spokesman said guests will be managed in accordance with the ministry’s guidelines.
“There will be no parties,” she said. “Guests will enjoy a dinner in keeping with the minimum we can have, following covid19 regulations…Just a simple and quiet evening with their families.”
A representative at Cara Suites in Pointe-a-Pierre said only a few guests have opted to dine there.
“Most of them will be in their rooms,” she said. “We have nothing planned.”
In Tobago, Magdalena Grand Beach and Golf Resort will entertain guests with a firework display on the beach, which they can enjoy from their balconies.
General manager Vinod Bajaj said while guests are not restricted to their rooms, services at restaurants and bars on the premises will be closed promptly at 10pm.