Education Minister Stephen Lecce has announced an extension to the free child care being offered to emergency workers as Ontario logged another 3,443 new cases of COVID-19 on Saturday and 40 more deaths.
Earlier this week, the province announced that students in southern Ontario would not return to class on Monday as planned but would instead continue with remote learning until at least Jan. 25.
The decision was driven by soaring case numbers, which have remained well over 3,000 per day for almost a week, as well as for two days the previous week.
“We recognize as this elementary school closure is extended that more people, more front-line workers will need support,” Lecce said during a news conference.
“That’s why today we’re announcing an extension of the emergency and free child care we’re providing to our front-line workers,” he added.
“The first phase of it existed for this week, but obviously, given the extension [of online learning] to the 25th, we think it’s reasonable to extend that free service for another two weeks.”
The announcement comes as the province is reporting more than 3,000 new cases of COVID-19 for the sixth straight day.
Health Minister Christine Elliott said Ontario’s network of laboratories completed a record 72,900 tests in the last 24 hours.
Locally, there are 1,070 new cases in Toronto, 548 in Peel Region, 303 in York Region, 282 in Windsor-Essex County and 179 in Ottawa.
Meanwhile, there are now 400 COVID-19 patients in intensive care units (ICUs) across the province, according to the latest data from Critical Care Services Ontario.
The province says 244 of the patients in ICUs are breathing with the help of ventilators.
The 40 deaths reported Saturday include 26 people who were long-term care home residents.
Ontario’s death toll now stands at 4,922.
The Health Ministry reported a record 4,249 cases on Friday and 3,519 cases on Thursday. A total of 71,481 tests were reported Friday, which was also a record for the province.
As of Saturday, the province said 2,915 more coronavirus cases have been resolved, bringing the total number of recovered patients since the pandemic began up to 178,224.
Over 100,000 doses of COVID-19 vaccine administered
Elliott said more than 100,000 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine have been administered to the province’s most vulnerable and those who care for them.
“As we continue to vaccinate thousands of Ontarians every day, we urge everyone to follow public health advice to protect yourself and your community,” she said on Saturday.
Over 100,000 doses of the <a href=”https://twitter.com/hashtag/COVID19?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw”>#COVID19</a> vaccine have been administered to our most vulnerable and those who care for them. As we continue to vaccinate thousands of Ontarians every day, we urge everyone to follow public health advice to protect yourself and your community. <a href=”https://twitter.com/hashtag/TeamVaccine?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw”>#TeamVaccine</a> <a href=”https://t.co/LPdpQaWD8L”>pic.twitter.com/LPdpQaWD8L</a>